Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Serving the Lord

My family is the best. We all truly love each other. I am so thankful for having such an awesome family, immediate and extended. These past few months, we have been helping my Aunt Mary Ann and Uncle Fred prepare to serve as the Mission President in the Chile for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I am happy for them because they are doing something magnificent and they are sacrificing their lives for three years to serve, but at the same time, I am going to miss them immensely. 


These past two weekends I have had the opportunity to go up to Logan and be with them before they leave at the end of June. Since I have been at school, we have these family get togethers at Grandma and Grandpa Sorenson's or Sue's for anyone in Logan on Sunday. I have been able to spend time with my Aunt and Uncle on those Sundays, as well as other family members and realized that my family is wonderful. The Essigs are such great examples to me of service and putting their trust in God. 


During a family reunion at Lagoon, I was on the Music Express ride (the one that spins fast and you can't help but smoosh the other person in the seat with you) with my Aunt Mary Ann. I was younger at the time and thought I would be cool and hang on and not squish her. Like I said, I was young. I didn't have that much strength and pretty soon I found myself letting go and allowing myself to enjoy the ride. I think that story is a bit of how they are feeling, I will attempt to make sense of this. Sometimes you want to be strong on your own, but in the end you usually wind up needing someone to lean on. They are lucky they have each other as well as the Lord and their families to support them. We will be here for them and I know they are always there for us. Family is the most important priority. 


Before I left Logan for my internship, I was having a rough time with starting something new. I love change, but it's scary. I remember feeling very insignificant and extremely nervous. I don't cry very much, but I was balling that day. I was lucky enough to receive a blessing from my Grandpa and Uncle Fred that day. I don't remember everything that was said, but I do know I felt the Spirit and was calm. Of course, the tears still were coming and they continued until the morning, but for that short moment I was calm and knew I could handle it. I am grateful for the priesthood and for my Uncle being willing to bless me. 


I have been blessed with my years in Utah to have gotten to know the Essigs better and to learn from them. They can do anything. It will be hard to not see them every week like I have for the past few years, but the cool thing about technology is that it's always changing and making it easier to communicate with your loved ones that are not nearby. I know the Essigs will do great and will be great examples to all the missionaries they will be looking after. 


Aunt Mary Ann and Uncle Fred, I love you and can't wait to hear stories about the craziness that will come from being the Mission President and the Mission President's wife/Mother to all the missionaries. And I hope you enjoy looking at all the photo booth pictures from the party!!!


Buena suerte. Te amo.